Who We Are
The Flannery O’Connor – Andalusia Foundation was established in 2001 by Margaret Florencourt Mann and Louise Florencourt, first cousins of Flannery O’Connor. A Board of Directors elected in 2002 serves as the governing body for the organization.
The Foundation is organized as a nonprofit corporation pursuant to the provisions of the Georgia Nonprofit Corporation Code. With its tax-exempt status granted in 2001, the Foundation operates exclusively for literary, charitable, and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. It is a completely independent organization and is not affiliated with any other foundation or institution.
Andalusia is the picturesque farm in Milledgeville, Georgia, where American author Flannery O’Connor lived from 1951 until her death from lupus in 1964.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Andalusia is brought to life on many occasions in O’Connor’s published letters. In the 1950s Andalusia was a dairy farm operated by O’Connor’s mother, Regina Cline O’Connor. The agricultural setting of Andalusia provided for O’Connor not only a place to live and write, but also a landscape in which to set her fiction.
The Foundation is dedicated to the restoration, preservation, and appreciation of Andalusia, the final home of Flannery O’Connor, to perpetuate her place in the roster of great writers of the twentieth century.
American author Mary Flannery O’Connor is considered by many to be one of the most influential writers of the twentieth century. O’Connor wrote two novels, 32 short stories, and numerous essays.
Andalusia was the home of American author Flannery O’Connor from 1951 until her death from lupus in 1964. This is where O’Connor was living when she completed her two novels and two collections of short stories.
Through partnerships, collaborations, sponsorships, and grants, the Foundation is able to continue in its mission and to endeavor in bringing meaningful programs and experiences to Andalusia’s visitors.
The Flannery O’Connor – Andalusia Foundation was established in 2001 by Margaret Florencourt Mann and Louise Florencourt. The Board of Directors was elected in 2002 and serves as the governing body for the organization.
Andalusia employs one full-time executive director, Elizabeth Wylie, one full-time assistant director, April Moon Carlson, and operations and visitor services manager, Abbey Lee Hite.